light of the world brings peace to every mind through my forgiveness."
* For 3 or 4 minutes, read over the ideas and comments slowly (repeatedly if
you wish) and think about them.
me not forget my function."
1 time for about 15 minutes
* Close eyes and spend remainder listening quietly and attentively. There is a message for you. Be confident you will receive it, for it belongs to you and you want it.
* If you have distracting thoughts realize they have no meaning or power. Replace them with your will to succeed. Trust it to carry you past distractions. If your mind still wanders, repeat first phase of exercise.
Remarks: Regard these exercises as dedication to God. Refuse to be distracted. Be determined to assume your function today.
First Half Of Day: "The light of the world brings peace to every mind through my forgiveness."
Second Half Of Day: "Let me not forget my function."
Response To Temptation: You may use these specific forms or your own words:
First half of day:"Let peace extend from my mind to yours, [name]."
"I share the light of the world with you, [name]."
"Through my forgiveness I can see this as it is."
Second half of the day:"Let me not use this to hide my function from me."
"I would use this as an opportunity to fulfill my function."
"This may threaten my ego, but cannot change my function in any way."
COMMENTARYMy forgiveness serves three primary purposes, according to this review:
1. The light of the world is expressed through me, in this world, by means of forgiveness.
In Part II of the Workbook, it says that forgiveness is the reflection of love in this world (W-pII.352.1:4); it also refers to it as "truth's reflection" (W-pII.357.1:1). The full reality of love cannot be known in this world, but we can know its reflection, which is forgiveness. The reality of what I am is reflected here as I forgive.
2. I become aware of my own reality, the light of the world, by means of my forgiveness.
What comes through me shows me what I am. I become increasingly aware of the Holy Spirit in me, and the Christ of which He speaks, by seeing His effects through me (T-9.IV.5:5). To learn that I am love, I must teach love. Forgiveness, love's reflection, is how I do that in this world.
3. The world is healed by means of my forgiveness, and so am I.
As I forgive those around me, they see love reflected through me, and they see themselves in the light of love and are healed.
It is easy to see why forgiveness plays such a major role in the Course. It is easy to feel motivated to "forgive the world, that it may be healed along with me."
I like practicing the line, "Let peace extend from my mind to yours, [name]." I will practice it now, as I write this, thinking of all of you who will be receiving this message: May peace extend from my mind to yours.
With forgiveness as my function, and with forgiveness having so many profound effects, I do not want to forget it today. It helps me become aware of my Self, and so I want to practice it today. Let me use everything today as an opportunity to learn forgiveness.
Copyright © 1996, The Circle of Atonement, Sedona,
All rights reserved.